Saturday, January 24, 2015

Introduction

My experiences with wine are very limited at this point in my life. I would say that I'm somewhat familiar with the different types of wine, but I don't know many details. For instance, I was not aware that names like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Chardonnay referred to grapes, or that Bordeaux and Chianti were locations that specialize in wine. I know that wine is considered better after it has aged longer, but I never knew the reason why.
In terms of tastes and preferences, I do know that I prefer white wine over red and that sweet wine is more appealing to me than dry wine. I know that I like Moscato and White Zinfandel. If I do drink red wine, it's a very sweet blend - names of red brands that I know I enjoy drinking are Roscato and Stella Rosa. I do not enjoy boxed Franzia. I've had wine on several occasions, usually at a restaurant or at home with family. On my 21st birthday, I tried a Chianti flight of wine at an Italian restaurant called Carrabba's which I enjoyed.
For this class, I would like to learn more about the types and varieties of wine, including specific grapes and which regions they come from. It would also be cool to learn about wine pairings, such as what wines go well with certain foods. I'd also like to learn about the process of making wine. We have already talked about several interesting topics in class so far, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment